My Decade of Tortuous Election Journeys - Buhari

Former Head of State between 1983 and 1985, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari in a Vanguard post recounted his tortuous journey towards emerging the president of Nigeria in the 2015 general elections. 

Buhari first ran on the platform of the defunct All Nigeria Peoples Party, ANPP, against the then President Olusegun Obasanjo in 2003. He also faced late President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua in 2007 presidential election but lost. Later 2010, he formed the defunct Congress for Progressive Change, CPC. On that platform, he contested in 2011 but also lost to outgoing President Goodluck Jonathan of the People’s Democratic Party, PDP.

However on April 11 2015, he emerged victorious under the platform of the All Progressive Congress, beating president Goodluck Jonathan with over 2 million votes.


APC’s gubernatorial candidates of Taraba and Akwa Ibom in the last April 11 governorship polls, Mrs. Aisha Alhassan and Mr. Umana Umana, had beseiged Buhari’s house in Abuja, crying to him about the charade of an election they had in their respective states, informing him of their separate resolve to contest the outcome of the elections at the Election Petitions Tribunal.

But unknown to them, they provoked Buhari, reminding him of his own experience and the endless legal voyage that followed suit. And as expected, the now president-elect told his story, first to Alhassan on Wednesday and Umana on Thursday.

According to him, his journey from the tribunals down to the Supreme Court was an indication of his firm belief in the tenets of democracy.

“It is a battle well fought and I am very pleased that you have taken the honourable way. According to the Nigerian constitution, you may go to court. I was there three times and ended up in the Supreme Court. Sometimes, people wonder why I tried so hard. I tried so hard because it is a system I believe in. I believe that multi party democratic system is the best form of governance with a big caveat that election must be free and fair.

“Really, this is why I am in it. I was in APP. I joined partisan politics in April 2002 and on that date, at my ward, I said that those who knew me, and myself, following my career and antecedents in the military, if I tell people that I will participate in partisan politics, people would not believe it and I will not also believe it. But I found myself in it and I never turned back.

“Within one year, APP gave me the ticket. There were governors, senators and much older people than me, but all the same, I got the ticket. I lost; I was in court for 30 months. In 2007, we tried to have a limited merger and became ANPP and again, I participated and was told I lost.

“I went to court for 20 months up to the Supreme Court and I felt that my party was not fair to me. While I was in court, the leadership of the party proceeded and took two marginal ministries in late Yar’Adua’s cabinet and an Adviser. For that disgraceful behavior by the party leadership, I left the party and we floated the CPC.

“Again, I attempted in 2011 and lost and again, I was in court for about eight months and I contested now for the fourth time on APC’s platform having successfully gone through with the merger of the three legacy parties.

“So Aisha, don't give up. You are younger and this is your first time. I contested three times and this is my fourth attempt. I hope that you succeed in the court. I am impressed by the quality of Taraba people you brought here.”

Source: Nigeria Bulletin

Comments